Due to a huge demand and support from the hospitality industry for a suitable qualification and having researched many options among English speaking countries, the following programme has been implemented in South Africa.
There are TWO modules to this programme, which can be done in any order.
Requirement: It is a requirement to have at least one year practical experience within a fine dining establishment within the hospitality industry, in order to benefit fully from Module 2.
- Lecture Unit One: South African Wine Course (theory only) 16hrs learning. Pass mark 60%.
- Lecture Unit Two: The Certificate Course, which includes both a written and a practical -
Wine tasting examination. 45 hours learning. Pass mark 60%.
- Lecture Unit Three: Wines of the World course (theory only) 28 hours learning (Completion of the Diploma wine course would fulfil this requirement) Pass mark 60%.
- Lecture Unit Four: Wine and Food course. 4 hours learning.
- Lecture Unit Five: This unit will consist of three days of practical training performed by Professional members of SASA over a period of three weeks, teaching the fundamentals of Sommelier.
This unit will also consist of three assignments that is to be completed by the students in their own time.
- Lecture Unit Six: This unit consists of an examination divided into three sections, all performed during one day. The examination covers a written theory test, blind tasting of wine, and a practical dining room scenario, covering the breadth and depth of knowledge and skill expected from a sommelier.
Date: TBC - Venue to be confirmed SASA
Successful candidates will receive both a certificate and an official badge ‘CAPE SOMMELIER®’ and a year’s free subscription to SASA.
Module 1: Individual per Learner Unit as per course attending
Module 2: R8 500
*Note prices include VAT and are valid for courses being held until end Dec 2017 only, all courses in 2018 are subject to a price increase.